How to link to translated stories via link selection browser

Hi there,

I have blog articles with some text fields containing links to other blog articles. I’m also using the translatable slug plugin.
If I link to another blog article (e.g. in a markdown-html field) I choose the article via the link selection browser. In my default language everything works fine - the link refers to the slug in the default language.

But if I request the blog article in the secondary language, the link still refers to the default language. Is it somehow possible to refer to the translated version?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Thomas

Hello Thomas,

at the moment it isn’t possible to link to a certain language version of a story using markdown etc.

With best regards
Hannes

Hi Hannes,

thanks for the info! Are there any plans for improving multilingual content support?
As it is pretty laborious to do all the stuff by hand.
At least for us, linking between (translated) stories is very essential.

Best,
Thomas

Do you want to have those information available for using in your implementation or as a UI only feature?

UI only means that it won’t be accessible using the delivery API.

Can you explain your use-case a little bit more?

Alright, so we have the following use case:

In Storyblok we have the languages DE and EN and we’re using translated slugs.
So far we’re using Storyblok for our blog. So we’re writing our articles in DE and EN.
Sometimes we have to link to other blog articles in the text content (Richtext field, or Markdown field). These links are made via the link selection browser, where you can select the blog article you are referring to. When I create the link in our main language (DE), everything is fine. The link is inserted with the DE slug of course. When I’m switching to the EN version and create the link there, the link is also inserted in DE. As I’m doing the linking by using the link selection browser, I would assume, that the link is inserted in the proper language.

For a few blog articles we could fix it by hand, by just replacing the DE slug with the EN version. URLs are not changing, so this is fine. But we are investigating to use Storyblok for the whole website content with many, many links. It would be too error prone to let the editors fix the links in by hand. Especially if more languages will be supported.

Would be cool if you can have a look at that.

Thanks!

Best,
Thomas

1 Like

Hello Thomas,

I’ve taken your use-case and opened a ticket on Github for public discussion --> https://github.com/storyblok/storyblok/issues/191

I’ve seen that there are some changes of the plugin API planned what make it looking promising that it would be possible to create your own custom field plugins with such capabilities.

You can follow the discussion on Github and comment here or there in the case that you want to add some information or ideas.

With best regards
Hannes

1 Like